What's new
HTML Forums | An HTML and CSS Coding Community

Welcome to HTMLForums; home of web development discussion! Please sign in or register your free account to get involved. Once registered you will be able to connect with other members, send and receive private messages, reply to topics and create your very own. Our registration process is hassle-free and takes no time at all!

Cant show/hide within <details>

knowncoder

Hello, It seems that I cannot show/hide within the HTML <details> tag . I am using the following javascript

`
document.addEventListener('change', function() {
var usaDiv = document.querySelector('.usa');
var canDiv = document.querySelector('.can');

var regionDropdownValue = getCookie('RegionDropdown');

if (regionDropdownValue === 'USA') {
usaDiv.style.display = 'block';
canDiv.style.display = 'hidden';
} else if (regionDropdownValue === 'CAN') {
usaDiv.style.display = 'hidden';
canDiv.style.display = 'block';
} });`

to try and do so and it doesn't work as soon as I nest the <div class="usa"> tag within the <details> tag. Does anybody have a solution or know a work around where I can still use javascript?

You mean hide or show a content within the html document?
Add this to the html div <div id="myDiv"> Toggled div </div>
This goes in your javascript

function evaluateBoolean() {

const div = document.querySelector("#myDiv");

if (location.hostname.indexOf("someval" > 0) { //you would add the value of the hostname.indexOf here. " "

div.hidden = true;

} else {

div.hidden = false;
}
//that is called the conditional statement. What is being done on a browser. True or false.

That's how you hide the content.

Last edited:
if you wrap something in <summary> and then <details> the details dropdown will not let javascript control what is shown or hidden in it because the details by default is hide or show so it overrides the javascript. So I was trying to find a way to override this

Back